Get to know the features of MemoryLifter, its scientific basis, as well how to use it!
MemoryLifter - the fastest way to memorize
- is a virtual flashcard system, scientifically based on the Leitner card box algorithm
- enables the user to lift any kind of information into long term memory
- maximizes study efficiency with automation, controlled repetition and timed spacing
- incorporates multimedia such as images, audio, and video
- supports multiple learning modes: Slideshow, Standard Text Input, Multiple Choice, Image Recognition, and Listening Comprehension
- minimizes self deception by classifying flashcards according to actual demonstrated knowledge and not subjectively perceived knowledge
- is easy to use and makes learning fun
- Learn what you want, when you want, where you want, and without pressure
- Create your own flashcard Learning Module or download a premade learning package
- Create and modify flashcards, and include your own multimedia content to enhance understanding and retention
- Establish your individual learning profile
- Use the automated learning planner to regularly quiz yourself
- Measure your success and optimize your study efficiency with immediate feedback and statistics
- Customize the appearance of the MemoryLifter interface
- Choose one of five languages: English, German, French, Spanish, or Portuguese
- Print your flashcards on paper
- Create audio books for an MP3 player with the Audiobook Generator to improve your listening comprehension
- Use the MemoryLifter USB Stick technology to take your learning material with you wherever you go
- Learn on your mobile device - PDA, mobile phone, or iPhone
- Use the network solution of MemoryLifter for multi-user environments like schools or businesses
- Manage everything from a central location
- Allow multiple users to learn the same flashcard Learning Module, and store the learning progress of each user
- As an administrator, assign permissions for flashcards and Learning Modules to individual users as well as groups such as editor, teacher, student, etc.
- Learn the vocabulary and grammar of a foreign language
- Prepare for a standardized exam
- Learn specialized terminology associated with your profession or field of study (for example medicine, electronics, law, and many others)
- Teach employees important safety guidelines or sales strategies
- Learn facts or trivia associated with a hobby or an area of interest
- Introduce your pre-school children to alphabets and mathematics to give them a headstart
- Come up with your own application of this unique and powerful multimedia learning tool - the possibilities are virtually endless
Download MemoryLifter! A detailed description of the installation process is available in our Webhelp documentation.
Step 2 - Get Flashcards and Learning Materials
Download your desired flashcards! There are many Learning Modules available for free, others can be purchased for a very reasonable price.
Step 3 - Start memorizing
Open the desired Learning Module and start memorizing!
Step 4 - Download Tools & Extensions
We are permanently working on tools and extensions for MemoryLifter. Download these innovative tools to further extend the usefulness of MemoryLifter!
Step 5 - Join our community
Register yourself in our forum and be a part of our community! Order our newsletter to be up-to-date and receive some useful information!
Step 6 - Use it to learn, share it to earn
Create your own Learning Modules by using our user-friendly interface. If you want to share your Module, simply upload it to our server and we will publish it for you. You can publish your Module for free or charge for it. Alternatively, you can sell your Learning Module to us!
Step 2 - Get Flashcards and Learning MaterialsDownload your desired flashcards! There are many Learning Modules available for free, others can be purchased for a very reasonable price
Step 3 - Start memorizingOpen the desired Learning Module and start memorizing!
Step 4 - Download Tools & ExtensionsWe are constantly working on tools and extensions for MemoryLifter. Download these innovative tools to further extend the usefulness of MemoryLifter!
Step 5 - Join our communityRegister with our forum and become a part of our community! Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up-to-date and receive useful information!
Step 6 - Use it to learn, share it to earnCreate your own Learning Modules by using the MemoryLifter program. If you want to share your Module, simply upload it to our server and we will publish it for you. You can publish your Module for free or charge for it. Alternatively, you can sell your Learning Module to us!
Your learning success is scientifically guaranteed!Sometimes we ask ourselves why we are not able to remember certain facts or information that we once knew very well. Unfortunately we are all fighting a constant battle against forgetting. The problem is that our brains get flooded with information provided by our senses. To cope with this flood of information, our brains have developed sophisticated mechanisms for discarding information if it is no longer deemed important, and storing information if it is deemed important. Information is learned only once it has been stored in the long term memory and can be retrieved at will.
How does MemoryLifter work?Sensory Memory is a descriptive phrase referring to the split-second retention of impressions of all sensory stimuli. All information that enters our brain is briefly recorded in the sensory memory.
Short Term Memory is the term used to refer to the ability to access information in mind for a brief time. If we focus our attention on information stored in the sensory memory, it becomes part of our short term memory. The duration of short term memory is believed to be on the order of seconds. Information can be kept circulating in the short term memory by rehearsing it. Once the repetition is stopped you may immediately lose the ability to recall the information.
Long Term Memory refers to a system in the brain that can store and retrieve vast amounts of information on a relatively enduring basis. This happens through encoding techniques such as repetition and rehearsal. There is no finite limit to the long term memory. People can and do learn new facts and skills throughout their lives.
Hermann Ebbinghaus was a European psychologist who brought learning and memory into the laboratory. He found that without repetition, we tend to forget about 75% of what we learn after only 48 hours. Ebbinghaus' work clearly showed the value of trying to encode information into the long term memory through repetition and rehearsal. The ability to lastingly recall information improves significantly with repetition.
About 65 years later, another European psychologist named Sebastian Leitner devised a "cardbox" methodology for learning with flashcards, with simple, but extremely effective rules of operation. Most people are familiar with flashcards in their simplest form. They are papercards, that hold a question on the front and the corresponding answer on the reverse side.
Leitner's cardbox organizes these flashcards into multiple sections called boxes. These boxes become bigger as they increase in number. Starting with an unlimited number of cards in a card pool, a small number of cards are picked at random and are moved to the first box. Now they are presented for learning, one at a time. If the card is known, then it is put into the second box. If the card is not known, then it remains in the first box, but moves to the back of the deck so that some time passes before it is asked again. In a similar fashion, flashcards that are promoted, are also always put in the back of the next box. A higher level box is only quizzed again, if it is filled completely. Because ascending boxes increase in size, this creates increasing amounts of time between repetitions. If at any time a flashcard in one of the higher boxes is not known, it returns to the back of the deck in the first box.
MemoryLifter is based upon this Leitner methodology. The software employs virtual Flash Cards that are presented in controlled sequences with spaced repetition. If the learner simply uses MemoryLifter on a regular basis, the presentation frequency and spacing intervals will be adjusted to provide the maximum memory performance.
Learning with all the senses - that is the meaning of multi-sensory learning. Through association as many connections as possible are created and integrated into one's memory, this is the way information is encoded in long-term memory. The MemoryLifter Software makes this long-term encoding of information possible by enhancing learning with images, audio, and video. With the printing wizard, flashcards can even be printed out.
Mnemonic learning (or remembering through mnemonic devices) is also a very powerful learning technique. Through memorable phrases, rhymes, schemes, and graphics, new knowledge can be associated with (or bound to) already acquired knowledge. The MemoryLifter software makes it possible to easily add your own mnemonic devices to flashcards.
Interactivity enhances the learning process, making learning more fun and motivating. Learners can leave the work of asking the questions to the program with multiple choice, free input, listening comprehension, or image recognition exercises. In addition, the MemoryLifter Network Version makes it possible for students to learn and exchange in virtual groups.
Institutional use of MemoryLifterThe FREE MemoryLifter Network solution is an extremely powerful learning instrument for multi-user environments. It offers students all the popular study features of MemoryLifter, plus a number of advanced tools and options that are only possible in networked environments. It offers teachers and knowledge providers the ability to track the student progress, assign different usage rights, and create a truly customized learning experience.
MemoryLifter Network Solution
- Is absolutely free
- Stores the learning success for each user individually
- Supports integrated user authentication (also supports standard user directory services)
- Allows users to expand their knowledge in virtual study groups
- Offers central management and maintenance of flashcards on a database server
- Allows users to share their Learning Modules with their study mates
- Gives users the options to learn on- and offline!
- Features a flexible administration and permission tool for instructors
Learning Modules for Institutional UseNo matter if you are an individual or institution, you can access ready-made Learning Modules via our MemoryLifter flashcard platform.
Administrators of a MemoryLifter network solution can acquire site licenses for Learning Modules to use them on multiple workstations. Instructors can choose from a number of licensing options to fit personal and institutional needs.
What do I have to do, if I want to use the MemoryLifter network solution?
- Download and install MemoryLifter
- Administrators: Download and install the Admin Suite
- Administrators: Set up the flashcards database
- Download Learning Modules from our products platform
Official Partner of MemoryLifter
Southern University and A&M College
»I have used a number of flashcard softwares. MemoryLifter has been by far the easiest to use.«
- Carolyn Person, Director of eLearning
University of Dayton
»It is the single most effective tool you can use for memorization... Just use MemoryLifter!"«
- Professor Randall
St. John's University
»The Multimedia Learning Suite for Chinese Characters is an excellent and unique tool for memorization. Highly recommended.«
- Professor Zhihui Sophia Geng
»MemoryLifter is available in multiple languages and is a great tool to improve the long-term memory.«
»A highly efficient tool that has been developed on the basis of spaced repetition, multisensory and mnemonic learning.«
The Boston Globe
»It's a lot more fun than being quizzed by your 10th-grade teacher.«
» A perfect travel companion and a great way to broaden your knowledge base and learn the basics of both languages.«
»Practice Makes Perfect on the iPhone [...] These apps are pretty cool and useful«
»A handy flashcard application to help you revise.«